Parkersburg, WV - Parkersburg Fire Chief Eric Taylor says there were no injuries in a fire that occured at about 11:45 PM Wednesday evening. He says firefighters were dispatched to 1213 George St to a reported house fire with entrapment. Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy smoke and flames showing from the house. Additionally, the occupants had safely escaped.
Firefighters quickly extinguished a matress that was on fire. Damages are estimated at under $10,000. The home is owned by William Stump and occupied by Destiny Brown.
Fire officials advise the home was occupied by 4 adults and 4 children between the ages of 3 to 12 years. No smoke detectors were found in the home and firefighters installed them before they left. Fire investigators remained on the scene for approximately an hour. The fire has been ruled accidental and believed to be related to a child playing with fire.
Chief Taylor said, "I was advised that the occupants tried to extinguish the fire before calling 9-1-1." "While we realize that it is instinctive to try to put out the fire, we strongly discourage it."
Taylor emphasized that firefighters are only minutes away and they are trained and equipped to enter the hostile environment of heat and thick smoke.
"We must continue to stress that toxic smoke is the killer and it will fill a home within a matter of minutes," said Taylor.